(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Well, THAT didn't take long!

We had a rental car, as you know. It is due back tomorrow, before we fly to Toronto.
By 1600 we had done everything we needed, so thought we might as well take the car back this afternoon. The hotel offer a complementary shuttle service, so we can get a ride back to the hotel tonight, and to the airport in the morning. Nothing could be simpler. We are staying at an airport hotel, and we can see the airport from our window.

So. My astute navigator wonders if setting the GPS to home will take us to the airport. We've done it before, so no problem. Off we go. The system says we will be there in 6 minutes, so seems reasonable.

Off we go, and in 6 minutes we pull up outside the Sandman Airport Hotel. GREAT!
Note to self. If I ever work at a rental car company, I will make sure that every GPS has "home" reset to the car depot.

I happened to notice as I pulled in here, a sign saying that access to the airport is not available via the road I just turned off, Barlow Trail. When we put the actual airport address into the GPS, it directed me back onto Barlow Trail. They have funny names for streets here. I knew that direction was wrong, so I went the other way, following the detour sign. No issues, the GPS will recalculate in a minute.

It took a while, because the road I was now on didn't exist, according to the GPS. But I kept driving, until we joined up with a road the GPS recognised.

So. Again. Lets trust the GPS. It's taking us in a large loop to the right, must be coming into the airport from the other side. Twenty odd minutes later, we are passing buildings we recognise. The GPS is now directing us to turn into Barlow Trail. The bloody GPS has brought us in a complete circle, back to where we started.

As you can imagine, Sarah is not best pleased with this turn of events.

Solution? Stop listening to either the navigator to my right, or the one in the dash. Follow every "Airport Detour" sign I see. Another twenty minutes, and a large loop to the left, and we make it to the airport. Finding the drop-off point is a doddle after all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment