(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Money, Money, Money

I was reading today that Walmart is planning on reducing its reliance on Bangladesh. Walmart is the largest retailer in the world, and Bangladesh is the second largest supplier of garments behind China.

Apparently, Walmart is growing a conscience, because of the substandard conditions of garment workers in Bangladesh. Their pay is not flash, either. It seems that wages range from 18c to 26c. An hour! Of course that's in Amrikan dollars, so it's not as bad as it seems.

But wait, there's more. These staff work 12 hour days, 13 if you count lunch. That's all at ordinary pay, by the way.

Walmart could go to China, but the average rate there is about $1.50. Exorbitant!
It seems they quite like the look of Cambodia, where pay averages about 36c/hr, or Vietnam, where it is about 50c/hr.

Mmm. I think I'll ask for a pay rise when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment