(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Heading For Varanasi

The brick factories I mentioned in Bangladesh are becoming a common sight here. I've seen a few this morning. A lot of brick construction, too.












As you can imagine, nothing much goes to waste here. We have passed many stacks of cowpats, drying in the sun. I think they mix them with straw, and mold them into shape. They use them for cooking. No, they don't go into the curry, they go under it. It is a source of fuel, for burning.



I'm not sure, but the briquettes they're making look remarkably like the tiles on the roofs of the huts we are passing. I'm told that dung is a good form of insulation, so maybe. Many huts will actually have dung spread out on the floor, and polished. When dry, it is quite hard, especially when polished. Quite a sheen, I'm told.
But as roof tiles? I don't imagine they would survive long in the monsoons. They would dissolve fairly quickly in water. So, if you are staying in a village hut in India, I suggest you don't sleep on your back during the monsoon. You may end up tasting the roof. Nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment