(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Friday, March 22, 2013

Home

Well, that was painful.

Couldn't risk sleeping in transit in KUL, so I sat and watched while Sarah snored.
So as soon as I got onboard our KUL AKL flight, I went to sleep. Woke up with 5 hours to go, so watched a couple of movies and had dinner, and we were there.

Now, watching movies on Malaysian is trickier than a tired white man can deal with. There are a shitload of channels, so lots of movies, but they are all running, over and over. What a pain! How old is this system?

Worse, I couldn't figure out what movies were on what channel. All it would say when you switch is how many minutes into the movie it is. You have to sit there for a minute to see if you recognize what it might be, and then decide if you want to see what's left of it. Sheesh!

I tripped over the new bond movie, and it was only a few minutes in, so I sat on that. Not a bad movie, really. Watched it restart, and all I had missed first time was the pre title sequence, kind of important to this movie, and being a Bond, was about 15 minutes long.

Then I trawled around, and Mr and Mrs Smith was starting, so that'll do.

While I was reading through the inflight magazine for a hint of what movies were on what channels, I discovered that you can ff, rw, stop and restart movies. Thanks for that!

But wait, there's more. There is obviously a range of aircraft in the fleet, and each one seems to have a different handset fot movies. You're KIDDING me!

So there's a chart of which model remote (no, not which aircraft, so you have to decode that first) does what. I still couldn't find a simple list of channels and movies.

Just too fucking hard!!!

I must be spoilt, but I was certainly missing the IFE on the Air New Zealand flights. So simple. Ish.

Sure, there are different systems, but you don't need to fight with the remote. On most aircraft, I never touch the remote at all. All touch screen, thanks.
Also, you start with a menu, choose a movie, and watch it. Colour me simple, but that works for me.
Why would you have movies permanently playing on all channels if you have the individual ability to restart a movie from the beginning, as long as you know the secret sequence of buttons to do it?

Anyway, back in newzild now. Arrived just after midnight, bags were off quickly, and we were in our hotel room by 0100.

Did I mention the Novotel? It is the new hotel they have built at Auckland International Airport, and it is LITERALLY just across the road from the terminal. Walk out of the building, use the pedestrian crossing to avoid being hit by a taxi, and you are five steps away from the hotel reception. Brilliant!

Got up early ish, because we were going to meet a friend for breakfast. Our flight is at 1200.

Check out, head off to domestic, and ring to hook up. Oh, is it today? I thought it was Saturday? Sorry, I'm at work.

Did I mention this was one of Sarah's friends? My friends wouldn't do that? They probably would, but they just wouldn't be arsed dragging themselves to the airport to meet me.

So we are sitting in the Koru Lounge. We missed the breakfast menu, so we are making do.

And that, my friends, is all she wrote.

I don't know when or where our next adventure is, so the next entry may be minutes or months away. Who can say.

Once again, I apologize to those who were hoping for graphic details of Delhi Belhi, Bombay Bum, or whatever else you may like to call it. I came away completely unscathed, except for the odd mozzy bite taken out of my arse.

I won't apologies to the weak of heart who fell into palpitations whenever an expletive crossed my page. They just need to fuck off and find an Enid Blyton book to read.

Sorry, Noddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment