(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Our last night in Killarney

Wednesday July 31 cont.

So after we got back from Kerry’s Ring, we wanted to stretch our legs a bit. We explored a little further than the last time, and found an outlet store. One clothing store worth a look, otherwise Meh...

On the way back, Sarah wanted to try a local pub. Sarah wanted a Prosecco, and I found that they have Orchard Thieves on tap, just like home. Nice. The young waitress has to check the bar upstairs for the Prosecco, but no luck. She tries two more locations and still no luck, so Sarah chooses something else. I’m just about finished my cider by then, so feel like something new.

Adele, the woman who showed us around Dublin that first day, talked about an Irish-specific soft drink called red lemonade. Doesn’t seem to have caught on anywhere outside of Ireland. She told us that it is regarded as a popular mixer with whiskey. Choose your brand and have it with red. For example, she said, Jameson and red.

So I thought I’d try that. But first I’d make sure they carry the red lemonade. When we stopped for lunch on our wander around Dublin, the waitress looked at me like I was speaking a different language. So yes, the Failte Hotel carries it. I’ll have a Jameson and red, thanks. No problem.

The barman gives me a glass with the whiskey and ice, and passes me the lemonade bottle. Apparently I get to choose the proportions myself. Cool.

After drinks, we did some more wandering, and ended up going to dinner at a western-themed family restaurant. Cheap and cheerful.

While we were eating, I noticed a woman in the booth across from us. She was ravenously tearing the flesh of what I can only assume is a chicken wing. After every bite, she would lick each finger.
Chomp. Lick. Lick. Slurp. Chomp. Lick. Lick. Slurp. Over and over.

I was transfixed, just waiting for her to get the sequence wrong and take a bite out of a finger.

Once there was nothing but bones on her plate, she was ready for round two. Not sure what this was but the bowl was deep. Mac and cheese, perhaps. If this is her regular diet, then it’s no wonder she had struggled to slide into the booth. Oh dear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment