(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Thursday, July 7, 2011

5th Avenue

Went for a walk up 5th Avenue while Sarah is off partying like it's 1699.
I love walking the streets of New York.
Boston is comfortable, with real history on every corner.
DC is kinda sterile.
But NYC has real depth. Texture.
Sure, you can occasionally step in some of that texture if you're not careful.

I'm not sure what gives me that impression. I think it has something to do with the movies.
So many movies were made or set here. So many buildings are iconic. So many street names live on in our psyches.
42nd Street isn't just a musical. It's the street where you'll find Grand Central Station.
Times Square really does have all those neon signs.
Broadway for theatre.
Madison Avenue. The advertising capital of the world.
Wall St. for finance.
7th Avenue for the clothing trade.
And so on.



For some people, LA is probably the same, but not for me. Sure, they make more movies there, but they are more vapid and saccharine as a city than this place. New York is real. Go to the suburbs and find much more reality than any of us would be comfortable with, but here in Manhattan I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment