I may have mentioned this before:
I love taking the proverbial out of Australians. They just deserve it.
But I must give them credit for their Underground Railroad system. Not the slave-smuggling kind. The other kind. It’s probably because we don’t have one in NZ, that it is so impressive.
Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, Auckland does not have an underground network. They have a train network that occasionally goes underground. That’s not the same.
The entire transport infrastructure in Auckland has always been shit. Gridlock shit. Every piece of motorway they built, specifically to alleviate gridlock, just moved it, and probably made it worse. I give them no credit when one of their overpriced projects accidentally improves the situation. There’s a tunnel that seems to have helped quite a bit, but that doesn’t make up for the laundry list of fuck-ups that has described the Auckland transport infrastructure over the years.
I know I’ve said this before. The first time I went to Auckland, I couldn’t see what the problem was. Every off-ramp from every motorway, ended at a set of lights or a stop sign at the top of the ramp. Inevitably, when it got busy, like every morning and every evening, the cars would bank up tat the stop sign, and the jam would quickly feed back onto the motorway, dragging it to a halt. It would probably only take 20 cars waiting to get through that stop sign, and the off-ramp is full.
Anyone with half a brain ( that includes me) knows that every off-ramp feeds into another motorway, or at least onto a road without a stop sign in sight. The Amrikans got this right.
So, where was I. Sydney. They didn’t invent the concept.
I think the original underground was in London, back around 1863.
In 1931, Harry Beck designed the underground map that we recognise today.
So the concept and the iconic map template has been around for a while
Sydney’s first stage, between central and St James via Museum was completed in December 1926. I don’t think the decor of these 2 stations has changed since. Quite the time capsule, those platforms.
The second leg, central to Wynyard via Town Hall was completed in February 1932.
It wasn’t until January 1956 that they had a functional City Circle by opening the Circular Quay station. So no, they didn’t invent the idea. They just copied what had gone before.
During my lifetime, the defining moment in Sydney rail was the opening of both the airport and the Olympic Park lines, in time for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
This is the bit I give them credit for. A spectacular addition for locals and visitors alike.
More recently, the addition of light rail branching out from Central in 4 directions is the icing on the cake.
So, the rail systems are intrinsic to the healthy function of the Sydney. The literal life blood of the city.
Anyway.
We often stay in Mascot. It has great food outlets around it, and it’s close to HQ in case Sarah is there for work.
It also has a Subway station.
Our pilgrimage whenever we’re in town is to take the train into town, and get of at Town Hall station. It’s right next to QVB, and through that to Meyers, David Jones, the Apple Store and Priceline. Compulsory.
Until it doesn’t work.
This just happened to be a weekend that they are doing line works on the line that affects us. Rude.
We arrive at Mascot station rearing to go, and are greeted with locked doors. Bugger!!
Luckily, maintenance is regular, so plan B is always ready.
Next to the station is a bus stop, with signs saying a train replacement bus will be here soon. And it was, but the queue was long, so it filled up before we made it to the front.
Five minutes later, another bus arrived, and we were one of the first on.
Obviously, this isn’t as efficient as the train each train would carry maybe 3-4 buses of passengers, and they don’t get stuck at traffic lights
This one had a very chatty driver, who gave out apologies and little packs of mini Oreos. Great recovery service.
This bus stopped at Green Square and Central, like the train would. As we stopped at the Green Square station, the driver pointed out the hotel where the MAFS cast stayed. He was a little embarrassed that he knew that detail.
Once at Central, we can take train or light rail to Town Hall.
After dinner with family, we used the rail back to Central and waited only 10 minutes for our bus back to Mascot.
No free bickies this time. Bugger.
No comments:
Post a Comment