(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Friday, July 26, 2019

NZ2

Travel time to the gate was estimated to be about 19 minutes, give or take. There was going to be additional security before boarding, so Sarah wanted to head off about 30 minutes before the ‘published’ boarding time. Yes, I know, I know.

NZ2 departs from gate 18, which is just past where the Emirates slugs depart from. Luckily, there are many travelators to make you think you are saving time.

Have you ever traveled on the Airbus A380 slug? It’s pretty boring.
The big difference between the A320 and the classic Boeing 737, is that the Airbus has more plastic. LOTS more plastic. I don’t know if that makes it more or less recyclable than a 737. To the passenger, the biggest difference is that the Airbus overhead lockers rattle and squeak more than the 737’s. When Airbus released their slug, sorry the A380, the proudly trumpeted that the insulation was so good that you didn’t hear the engine noise. So instead of the engine noise drowning out the rattle bins on the A320, there was just you and the bins on the 380. Pointless.

The security check involves the normal questions you would be asked at an old-school check-in. Because we would only be in the United States of Trump for 24hrs, there were no more questions.

So we found two seats and sat in the gate lounge for about an hour. Unsurprisingly, the flight was late boarding. The crew got there about the same time we did.

Eventually it was time to board, so we got ourselves settled in to row 1. I’ve said before that I’m not a fan of the insular nature of the Air New Zealand business class, but I certainly would not have chosen to do this 12.5hrs in peasant class.

I cannot believe how many people choose to fly from regional New Zealand, via Auckland and all the way to London, with just a couple of hours compulsory exercise in LAX. And all the way in a cramped economy seat. It’s all very well for airlines to open new routes involving up to 17hrs in one sector, but most passengers on board will be in economy. Kill me now.

I have said before that Sarah developed Tourette’s when she got her job. Ask her if she would fly to London in one day, even in business class, and her answer is succinct. Fuck Off.

One thing that really makes a difference, particularly for the Facebook generation, is wifi. Onboard wifi is new to Air New Zealand. When it came out, they toyed with a P.A.Y.G system, but quickly settled on providing it as a free service.

My brother-in-law travels a lot, first on Qantas, and more recently on Emirates. He very proudly told us that in Emirates First Class he gets 2hrs free wifi. Oh, I’m sorry. Air New Zealand gives you free wifi from the moment you take off till they pry your fat arse out of your seat at the other end.

Sarah got particularly good use out of wifi talking to staff, family and friends throughout the parts of the flight when she wasn’t asleep.
For those who have iPhones, iMessage is available. For lesser mortals, she uses WhatsApp or WeChat. It certainly makes the flight less isolated these days.

I’ve heard less than glowing reports from staff who have traveled in business on long-ish haul flights recently, so I was a bit apprehensive. I shouldn’t have been. The seats are always comfortable, the IFE is more responsive than any other airlines I’m aware of, the staff were attentive without being sycophantic.

The food has probably changed over the years. The first time I flew to LAX, we were in business class on Qantas. The meal service appeared to be never-ending, with course after course. I may have mentioned it in one of my earliest posts. The thing that stood out for me was being served fruit salad. Down at the blunt end, it would be a pre-measured portion from Mr Watties. Don’t get me wrong. I love Mr Watties fruit salad. I grew up on it and would choose that any day of the week. But up the pointy end, this is a hand cut fruit salad, and it is served to me with tongs, one piece at a time.

Anyway, things have moved on. The business meal is still substantial enough, but not as expansive as it once was. Like many restaurants, some airlines seem to have moved to the healthier small plate philosophy. I imagine most people in business class just had something to eat in the lounge, so that they could maximize their sleeping time. Something light onboard, and we’re good to settle down.

Obviously, this ‘economised’ business class meal service will not appeal to all. Sarah overheard the woman behind her telling the crew that she was a guest of the airline for some reason or other. She then went on to complain that, because she had been busy in meetings all day, she didn’t have the chance to go to the lounge for something to eat. As a result, the onboard menu wasn’t quite enough for her. I saw her later after she changed into her stretchy “if it fits me it suits me” sleeping attire. Trust me, a more substantial meal would have done her no favours.

Another complaint I have heard is about ‘special’ meals.

Seriously! People use this feature in their booking profile as some kind of self-aggrandizement.
Oh, look at me. I got my meal personally delivered, before all of you peasants. How special am I?
And then they whine about what they don’t get on their tray, and the crew won’t let them have a ‘normal’ meal.
Don’t they realise that airlines go to the trouble and expense of making these meals for dietary reasons, not for the terminally trendy fuckwits.

Sarah chose a Hindu Vegitarian meal, and loved it. Her problem is with her self-imposed aversion to some foods. As a result, most breakfast is outside her scope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment