(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Saturday, July 27, 2019

Dublin day one

Saturday July 27

We wake after a very good sleep, and have a very nice buffet breakfast. I see black and white pudding in the Bain Marie. I’m keeping my distance.


Saw this menu at the Ballsbridge restaurant. Everything has a health rating. Bizarre.





So we check out of the Ballsbridge Hotel and start the walk to our next hotel.

Luckily it’s an easy walk and a nice day. There are so many Georgian buildings here. Everywhere you look.
 

We check in to the hotel, and have a snooze to catch up on the long day/jet lag, and are ready to meet the tour guide at 1615.

The hotel is called the Mespil. It’s a newer hotel than Ballsbridge, and it has aircon, so it gets a tick from Sarah. Better still, it’s in a great location, surrounded by shops and restaurants, and walking distance to all the must-sees, like Trinity College.

We pile into the bus with the rest of our ‘blue rinse tour’ members for a quick recce around Dublin, finishing at a quaint old Irish pub for dinner. This one is called Nancy Hands, and is literally across the street from the Guinness brewery. Needless to say, a Guinness comes with dinner. I’ve only tried it once in my life. About 30-odd years ago in New Zealand, in a can. I didn’t like it then, so didn’t have high hopes that I would today.


They say that Guinness doesn’t travel well, and it’s the taste that suffers. Well, you certainly won’t find a less-travelled Guinness than at Nancy Hands, so this is how it’s intended to taste.
I actually quite like it, so tick that box. Perhaps I’ll try it again while we’re in Dublin, just to be sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment