(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Thailand

I may have mentioned in the past, that Bangkok is the place that Sarah's dad was heading for when he died. As a result, we caught up with him in Bangkok, and made the arrangements to take him back to Dhaka.
Because of the way we were all treated by the Thai people, Sarah has a soft spot for them. They are a gentle people, untroubled by bustle and haste.
Sure, it's a busy city. It's never been a favourite as cities go, but it is getting better. Cleaner.

This week we got the opportunity to see the people in their city. Take taxis, travel from place to place. Well, mall to mall mostly.

I now think that I have a handle on the Thai serenity and patience. Just drive one of their cabs on a busy street. Just like in India, they make 3 lanes where only 2 were intended, but there is something else.

Time and again, the driver will change lanes. In a busy, ground-to-a-halt street. More surprising, everybody will let him.

Anywhere else in the world there would be collisions and road rage. But not here. There seems to be an all-pervading sense of live and let live. It's definitely something to do with the religion.

I think I could almost live here. Well, somewhere here.

That reminds me.

I may have mentioned in the past that Malaysia has a program to encourage expats to retire there. "My Home Malaysia" I think it's called. Put a few thousand in a local bank, and you will get a multi-year multi-entry permit to go there and live. All year, part of the year, you choose. You can buy a property there, and on a reasonable pension you can afford a driver and house staff to help you out regularly.

Well, it appears that, not to be outdone by those over the fence, Thailand has a similar program.
Invest some money in a bank, in property, and live a retirement you could never dream of back home.
As we have already established, medical standards here are world class.

Anybody interested in retiring to either country should let us all know how it goes, or what discoveries you make. I for one would be very interested to hear about experiences. Thailand has been a bit of an issue with the lack of English, but it appears to be getting a lot better. By the time I'm ready to kick back in the sun, I expect that problem to be a thing of the past.

We'll see

No comments:

Post a Comment