(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Monday, July 22, 2013

Bangkok

We get out of the terminal pretty quickly, and decide to slum it by taking an ordinary cab to the hotel. I know, right?

We zoom along pretty well, until we leave the motorway and get onto city roads. We are stuck on one piece of road, probably 200m long, for 25 minutes. Crazy, right? We came all the way from the airport in less time than this 200m. Once we get moving again, we are about 5 minutes from the hotel. It's the Centara Grand, next to the central Convention Centre, and next to one of the largest shopping centres in Asia. That was Sarah's price for coming.

The reason we are here, is for me to go to the dentist. Nothing dramatic. No Osmond makeover. I have a few fillings that have fallen out over the last few years. Firstly, they didn't hurt, so didn't matter. Second, my dentist retired, and the new one was expensive and, well, new. So I didn't bother.

But we have been hearing about this medical tourism lark in Asia, specifically Bangkok. Shoot over for a wee procedure, and it costs a fraction of what it would back home. New hip, boob or molar, it's all here. Special price, one time offer, just for you mister. ...sorry, I was thinking about something else.

The insurance industries in NZ and AUS are vehemently against people coming over here to get anything done. Can't understand it myself. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, within 5 years, they suddenly twig that they can send somebody over here, on an airline of their choice, stay at a hotel of their choice, and go to a hospital of their choice, and have the operation of their choice, all for probably less than half what they would be paying for back home. The Insurance industry could control every aspect of the procedure, from flight bookings to return home, and save themselves a fortune. One day.

So we are at the hotel. It's an odd shape, kind of like a figure of eight, 2 circles. Circles feature prominently on the inside as well.
Our bathroom is circular, with a circular tub in the middle. There is a circular track above it, for the shower curtain to run around the tub.There is a rain shower coming out of the ceiling (Sarah's favourite), and a hand shower head on the wall. This must definitely be built for hobbits, because the shower head is so low on the wall. Personally, I hate rain showers. Being a non-swimmer, I am very uncomfortable with water on my face. Because there is no way that I can stand under the wall mounted hand piece, I am forced to resort to the water-boarding procedure. Let's try not to panic, chaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment