(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I Think this is a Monday

Went to the Marriott's basement last night, and ate at a middle-eastern restaurant. My resident gastronome tells me it was divine. Didn't see any sheep's eyeballs or goat balls, but still very authentic.

We may be back again tomorrow night. Maybe the same place, maybe somewhere new.

Didn't do much today. Went back over to the Pavilion mall over the road. Sarah decided to suck it up and get a massage. Always wanted to but had never gotten around to it.

While she did that, I explored the mall. I have found a watch I like, let's see if I get it authorized by the war office before we leave tomorrow. I also found a walking bridge, that winds through the city at about 3 floors above the road. It took me about 8 minutes to get to the Convention Centre.
From there is a tunnel (about another 8 minutes) to the Petronas shopping mall we went to yesterday. So yesterday 2.5 hours by bus, including getting drenched as we went from the tower to the bus stop (less than 100m), or 15 minutes walk in air conditioned comfort.

Ah well. as I said, we try to do the hop on bus whenever we can. You get a good sense of the place.

Sat in Starbucks and uploaded some of this. Good way to fill in the time.

Caught up with Sarah when I got back, and we stopped for a drink at an Irish pub in an alley tucked under the shadow of Pavilion. I think this is the new Bintang Walk.

When we came here last time, Bintang walk went right past our hotel on the footpath. It is a collection of street bars and cafes. Sort of what the strip in Christchurch was trying to do, but without warm jackets.
This was the first time I had been to Asia, and we were sitting at a cafe out on the footpath, eating ice cream before it melted. At midnight!! Here I was, looking around saying "where the fuck is the heat coming from?" Still a mystery to me.

You know you're not in New Zealand when you are unwilling to leave a shopping mall because its nice and cool inside. It really is like hitting a wall of heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment