I have had a cold for the last week, and Sarah has it now.
I don’t think it’s infectious. I think it’s what I call the Furnace to Freezer effect.
When you walk any street in a hot country, the temperature is well over 30deg, sometimes touching 40deg.
That will certainly make a fat white guy glow a little.
Then go into a mall, and it feels like you’ve walked into the beer chiller at your local bottle store.
In reality, the mall temperature is around 21-23deg. That alone is a sudden difference of between 10 and 20 degrees.
Added to that, outside had 80+% humidity, while the inside climate is dry. Walking into the mall causes an aggressive, sudden drop in skin temperature, making the mall feel sub-zero. This is called the Thermal Shock effect. I prefer my name, because it covers coming inside as well as going outside Freezer to Furnace.
Also, main walkways and atrium spaces suffer from high airflow speeds from massive overhead vents. This wind-chill effect accelerates sweat evaporation on your skin, making the perceived temperature feel much colder than what the thermostat reads.
This is why people make such good use of subway train and mall access to get around these cities. Locals behave like gophers, popping into a hole in one part of the city, and popping up in a completely different part of town a few minutes later, without having to brave the weather outside, rain or shine.
Not having mastered that, and also wanting to go to places not directly connected to this arterial network, we must suffer the furnace to freezer effect a number of times a day. In and out.
At some point your body will react with a sneeze, a sniffle or a sore throat.
Meh

No comments:
Post a Comment