(I'm the one next to the old guy)

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Fremont Street Experience

I can't believe I never came here before. It's nuts!

Lots of weird shit going on.

It's almost boring during daylight, but once the lights go on, the neon zombies come out to play.

It's like a slightly sanitised recreation of old Vegas. Given the police presence, it certainly feels a lot safer than Fremont Street would have been in its heyday.

Performers everywhere, from impersonators of Jack Nicholson and Robert De Niro mingling with the crowd for photos, to rock bands on stage, to 4 guys dressed in nothing but KISS makeup, and unfortunately sized little packages. Must have been a cold night. NOT!!

At one point, we walked past a very good sax player jazzing up the crowd. Parked right against the stage was a 300lb woman and her 350lb electric wheelchair. She was standing in front of her chair, dancing. Boogying. Jiving to the music. As the music continued, she danced lower and lower, until when he finished, she was on her knees. I will admit that I didn't help her back into her chair. I was too busy laughing as I walked away.

I would definitely not try to walk back to our hotel at this time of night. Outside the Fremont light show, old Vegas is a dark and scary place.

We caught the SDX bus that had taken us to the Outlet mall behind the airport.

Can't miss it really, can you? There's one going past every 15 minutes most hours of the day, covering the strip and both outlet malls, one at the south end and one at the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment